Have you ever wanted…
- a faster phone?
- Better battery life / longer lasting phone?
- Get rid of those random apps that you never use?
We’ve all been there, and suffered the frustration.
Instead of jumping ship and spending $600 on a new phone, transform your phone into a lovable, responsive, performance powerhouse it can be with AmigoTips.
Introduction – What is the problem here?
Your phone comes with many unessential apps (collectively called ‘bloatware’), most of which you likely just ignore and never use. These apps are usually the source for your smartphone woes and frustrations.
“Please, how do you remove these unused, unwanted apps?!”
You cannot remove them. You’ve got carriers such as Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile (in the US), as well as phone companies to thank. You can’t remove them… That is unless… you “flash your phone with a custom rom”…
Steps to a frustration-free smartphone
Quite simply, we will install (aka ‘flash’) your Android (like your Samsung Galaxy) smartphone with a new Operating System (aka ‘custom rom’).
To those who have already tried this, you may be thinking,
But follow AmigoTip, and it will be like installing yet another program on your computer – painless and too easy.
We will be installing the Operating System ‘CyanogenMod’, which is an Android-based Operating System with little overhead. “CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability“.
…Yes, you will still have access to the usual Google Play Store, Google Maps, Internet browser, YouTube etc….
Your phone will be faster, last longer (battery) and have more free space for your photos and music and whatnot!
Note: You are obviously doing this at your own risk, for the better good. I have used a LG/Google Nexus 4 for this process. This process should be more or less the same for your device.
Enough talk; Steps:
1. Backup your stuff, as your phone will reset and you will lose your stuff otherwise. To help you, here is a basic checklist:
- Photos / Videos
- Bookmarks (internet)
- Synchronise apps, like your calendar (such as aCalendar).
2. (Install Cyanogenmod.) Go to Settings, then Security, then tick Unknown Sources.
3. On your phone browser (such as Chrome or ‘Internet’), go to http://get.cm and download.
4. Install the Cyanogenmod app you have just downloaded, open it, and follow the few steps; it’s too easy.
5. Go to Step 4 here, and download the Windows Installer on your computer.
6. Install what you have just downloaded (on your computer), and follow the steps on that…
The next few steps are not very eventful, so no screenshots; just follow the steps… e.g. Next… Next… Next etc. … and then:
We are finished!
Your phone will restart, and you will need to set it up again starting with the language…
- Left-handed users, Rejoice! Go into Settings > Interface > Left handed mode! When on landscape, your softkeys will now be on the left side of the screen. Whoa! :o
- For those interested in productivity and learning (such as students), check out these AmigoTip-recommended apps!
- Once you add a Google account to your ‘new’ phone, you may need to update everything…
- … and if you see that “Google Play services” is draining your battery, go into Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the botttom-right corner (3 vertical dots) > Advanced > untick Wi-Fi Optimization. (It’s unintuitive… ‘optimization’… but trust me, it will keep Google Play services in check.
- Remember that turning off the GPS is the best way to increase battery life. In the GPS settings (Settings > Location > Mode), ‘Battery saving‘ is effectively turning off the GPS.
Enjoy your ‘new’ smartphone, with lag-free (faster), ‘bloatless’ experience, with a longer battery life!
For the nerdier bunch: It is now very easy to go the extra step, and install Paranoid Android (a popular alternative Operating System to CyanogenMod), or other roms, after all of this (because, remember, your phone is now rooted, unlocked, and has ClockworkMod Reovery!). To install Paranoid Android, aka ‘Parandroid’, here’s a video:
Video to install Paranoid Android. You can do this after installing CyanogenMod if you want.
If you have found this useful, don’t forget to share and subscribe for the latest AmigoTips!