A wise man once said,
“Goals are the pathways to success, freedom and happiness… “
That man was me, and this article will explain the importance of goals, how to set goals, and how to actually follow them through which is the most important part.
Importance of Goals. Part 1
Are you happy about where you are in life? Happy with your relationships? Your achievements?
Going to the extreme end, do you feel like you even have any achievements? Do you have no satisfaction in where you are today? Feel like you can be much happier in life? Etc. You get the point; your life can be better. And you can make your life better, with goals.
Goals can help you become a somebody, from a nobody. Goals can give you purpose, clarity and direction in life, from a life that was merely surviving. Goals help you become a better version of yourself.
1. How to find out your goals: Get to know yourself.
You need to know what you want, in order to set goals. In this step, you will get to know and understand more about yourself. This step requires an totally honest evaluation of yourself.
To help you with this step, ask yourself these questions about your current life:
- What do you love doing in your life? / What are you passions?
- Why do you love doing those?
- What do you hate in your life?
- What people do you admire, and why?
etc. Just ask yourself a bunch of random questions. Write down your answers, to consolidate them on paper (or a computer)!
Then, answer these questions which help you visualise your ideal future:
- Describe the lifestyle do you want to live.
- Describe the kind of person you want to be.
- Describe the kind of relationship you want.
- Describe your ideal house.
etc. etc. Don’t forget to write them down!
You will know that your life is maybe OK for now… but you want to be a completely different person in 5 years time. You will know that you need better friends, or be in a better relationship. You will know what is acceptable, and what is not in how you are treated. Finally, you will know your favourite ice-cream flavour (blueberry)… You will know what you want…
2. Formulate your goals, and be very clear.
You will have a clearer idea of who you are, based on the answers you gave in Step 1. With your answers, you will also have a clearer idea of what you want.
- Do you want a particular kind of lifestyle? Great.
- Do you want to be that kind of person? Awesome.
- Do you want that car, house, smartphone? Brilliant.
- Do you want that kind of partner in your life? She’s out of your league bro, but anything’s possible once you have a goal… as you can make it happen.
Your honest answers, will be your goals.
Important note: Your goals must be clear – You must absolutely know when you have reached them. Otherwise, trust me – you will eventually give up on your pursuit towards your goal!
Part 2, with Steps 3 and 4, coming soon! Gotta sleep, good night world…